Monday, January 13, 2014

"I was ruuuunin'!" (if you don't get the reference, you live in a hole)

I decided to kick New Year's resolutions in the butt this year and started mine at the beginning of December.  Well, it wasn't really a "resolution," but more of just a goal I set for myself.  I decided to run my first half marathon in March. 

"Woo hoo!" some of you may be thinking ever so sarcastically... "how original!"  Yeah, I know it's something a lot of you guys out there have done before. And it's probably not a huge surprise as most of you know how much I love running, but I've never really challenged myself to go past like... 6 miles... (ok, I lied. 5 miles) So the idea of running 13.1 is very scary and challenging and motivating and just. plain. crazy (especially for someone who's realistically only run like 4 miles on her best day... to be honest).

Anyways, so I'm running. And running. And running.

A couple wonderful things are already coming out of this goal I set for myself:
1. The endorphin rush has really helped lift my spirits after such a sad year.
2. I feel stronger and proud of myself!
3. I've made a new friend who is also running the half marathon with me.
4. I have great reason to shop the athletic clothing section of Target!

Also, while I hate giving Virginia any credit at all for being any bit more awesome than Alaska... it does win in the weather department. I'm able to run outside all winter long in 40-60 degree weather on flat ground.

So, while the rest of life still doesn't feel particularly amazing right now... running the streets of Hampton is where it's at right now for me.

Yup, this is January. Sunny and warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment