Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Four baptisms in one summer...


Did you know the Bible talks about four different baptisms?  Most likely, if you’ve been breathing on this earth for any amount of time, you’ve heard of a baptism.  And most likely, the only kind of baptism that you’re thinking of involves someone being immersed in water.  Or, if you’re from a Catholic background, perhaps you’re thinking of infant baptism where water is sprinkled on the baby’s head by a priest.

The other night, our pastor preached about baptisms again, but this time, God revealed something about my past that I had never realized before.  One of the things I appreciate about Pastor Fred (www.citylifeva.com) is that several times a year, he will preach about topics he has already addressed.  He always brings fresh wisdom to these sermons, so even if you’ve been around City Life Church for a while, tune in.  There’s usually something new being shared you haven’t heard before.

To listen to his sermon, click here: Holy Spirit Series- Pentecost Part One

I won’t even try to summarize his sermon from that night, but I will offer this image from his slides, and what the Holy Spirit revealed to me as I was sitting in my seat.




The word “baptism” literally means to be “immersed.” 

Baptism in Water: being immersed in water, this baptism is a symbol of sin washing away, coming up made new and making a public declaration of your commitment to the Lord. (P.S. if you’ve ever seen a child choose to be baptized, and share their reasons for it, bring your tissues. There is something so precious about a child who has chosen this huge step of faith!)

Baptism into the Body of Christ: being immersed into a church body is one of the expectations God places on us as Christians.

Baptism of Fire: quite literally, being immersed in a season of suffering.

Baptism with the Holy Spirit: listen to PF’s sermon J ultimately, this baptism means to be immersed in the Holy Spirit, empowered by the Holy Spirit to share the gospel with the world.

I honestly had never heard of the latter three baptisms on that list until coming to City Life Church in 2013.  In a way, I’ve been a little upset about that!  How had I attended churches for almost ten years before really hearing what Scripture has to say about baptism?!

Over the years, I’ve actually written graduate papers about baptism of the Holy Spirit, and been listening to PF’s sermons on baptisms.  So when he started preaching the other night, I settled into my seat, eager to learn something new.

And when this slide came onto the projection screen, I heard (well, felt… I don’t really heard the audible voice of God) the Holy Spirit whisper to me:

You experienced all four of these baptisms within just weeks of each other in the summer of 2014.

And I immediately knew what He was talking about.

In the summer of 2014, we had been attending City Life Church for about 8 months. 

On June 1st, we were getting ready to head up to our Williamsburg campus (then held at a YMCA) to participate in their water baptism.  Jordan and I had never been baptized as believers.  We both had been baptized as infants in the Catholic Church, and had prayed over the years about whether or not being baptized as adult believers was really “necessary.”  So on this day, we were getting ready to make a very prayerful decision about walking forward in our faith with God surrounded by our new church community.

That Sunday, we also found out we were expecting for the first time.  As many of you know, we had been trying for quite awhile, and had undergone a lot of infertility testing that spring.  To find out we were pregnant on the same day we chose to be baptized was miraculous.

Just a few weeks after our baptism in water, we miscarried that baby.  That season marks one of the most difficult times of suffering in my life.   I was heartbroken, confused, scared, and lost.  I was going through baptism in fire.

That summer, we were on the cusp of choosing to become members of the church and start officially tithing.  Over the 5 years of our marriage, we hadn’t actually ever become members of a church.  We were always moved too quickly by the Air Force to settle in!  In July, we decided to become members of City Life Church and wrote our first tithing check.  We experienced baptism into the body of Christ.  And wow did that feel good.  We were committed to this church and these people.  We were home.

About the third week in July, I traveled to camp in Pennsylvania with our church’s youth group as a volunteer leader.  I was excited to get out of Hampton and be distracted from the pain we had suffered that summer.  I had no idea how God would meet me at camp.  I thought I was there for the kids!  Apparently, God had bigger plans for me.  About the second night of camp, the lead speaker had an altar call for the leaders to come forward and receive prayer.  I resisted at first.  But as soon as I went up there, the pastor came and put his hand over my head and prayed about my life ahead of me being filled with children.  I fell to my knees and wept.  He had no idea who I was or the loss I had just suffered.  I was overcome with the Father’s love for me and received baptism of the Holy Spirit and my spiritual language.

Now, I realize that at this point, I may have lost of some of you.  You may question what I’m talking about or maybe I’m “stretching the truth” a little bit.  That’s ok.  I realize this topic is heavy, and may not be received well from someone who hasn’t learned about baptisms in this way.  If that’s the case, I really urge you to listen to the sermon I linked above, and reach out to me with questions. 

Don’t let your confusion and doubt keep you from seeing the miracles of God.

Do some research.  Listen to some podcasts.  Ask some questions.  Have these baptisms been present in your life?

What’s even the significance of me sharing such personal details with you all?   Why does this matter?

Honestly, I’m not sure.  I’m not sure what you’ll get out of it.  Maybe you’ll just be left in awe like I was on Saturday night of the revelation God can drop on you in just a moment in church.  Maybe you’ll reflect on your own life and see if these baptisms have been present.  And if not, how come? 

What I am sure of is this: God loves you.  He loves you so much that he desires a life of baptism for you.  A life of immersion.  Immersion into a faith walk with Him.  Immersion into His church.  Immersion into a life of suffering so He can show you His glory and goodness and care for you in those seasons.  Immersion into empowerment by the Holy Spirit to carry out His ministry so all may know His love.

Don’t miss out on this love.

In light of Valentine’s Day tomorrow, I encourage you to think about writing a love note to God.  Let Him know what you feel about Him and commit to placing Him back on the throne of your heart. 

The summer of 2014 was a very transformative, powerful, life-changing summer for me.  Since then, my eyes have been opened wide to the ways God moves every day.  I pray with a boldness I didn’t have before those baptisms.  I have a faith that is unshakable. 

As we are about to welcome our third baby into this family this coming summer, exactly 5 years later, I am in awe of the truth of the words spoken by that pastor at camp.  God knew what I needed that night to restore my hope. 

I hope this testimony reaches you where you’re at, and you’re heart is open. 

All to God’s glory,

Amy

1 comment: