Sunday, December 3, 2023

Finding Lost Things

"I can't find it! I can't find it!"  That was me, at two-years old, frantically looking for a lost Christmas toy amongst the chaos.  I know this because it's recorded on the single home video I have of my childhood. And ever since, the narrative over my life has been that I am not good at finding things. 

When I can't find something, I become pretty frantic, like that little girl in the video.  Sometimes I panic.  Sometimes I cry. Often, I give up after awhile. 

Or, at least I used to be like this. 

You see, after having three children and acquiring a lot of small little toys and even smaller pieces to those toys, I had to learn really quick that it was not physically possible for me to keep track of every Lego, Barbie shoe, and Polly Pocket that came into this house. 

When my girls started getting toys like these, and they'd immediately lose a Barbie shoe, their emotions were BIG. They were devastated a part of the whole was gone, and often had big emotions about the loss. 

As their mom, I would become frustrated they lost the toys, but even more sad for their broken little hearts.  I felt helpless, knowing finding lost things was not a strength of mine.  So, I started to pray a prayer every time they lost something.

"Jesus, I know that you know exactly where _________ is.  So please show me what only you can see.  We always give you all the glory no matter what, but I can't wait to praise you when we find it.  Amen."

And time and time again, testimony after testimony, Jesus has helped us find the lost things.

Once, the girls lost a yellow Barbie shoe in the backyard during autumn.  Yellow and orange leaves littered the yard.  And as the girls cried and cried about their new toy being partial without both shoes, I prayed.  Sure enough, the shoe was found under a leaf!

Once, a Lego piece fell off our counter and bounced on the floor and up under the lip of our cupboard, into the tiniest little hole between the molding and the cupboard door. Jordan searched for a good long while, remembered to pray our prayer, and started pulling apart the cabinet.  Lo and behold, the Lego was found!

Another time, my friend called me in a panic that she couldn't find her daughter's favorite stuffed animal to get her down for a nap. I prayed with her over the phone, she took a deep breath, and soon found what she was looking for. 

Recently, at a women's retreat, our leader was distraught over losing a piece of our craft that was vital to the whole project.  Knowing the One who could help, I pulled her aside to pray with her my special prayer.  As I walked away, I had a sense the lost items were near some folders. So I told her to look where she was storing the folders.  Several hours later, she came to me on the beach to tell me the items were found inside the lid of a box the folders came in!  Too good to make up :) 

Perhaps my favorite story is when my youngest daughter lost her little Bluey toys.  They were new, of course. When she misplaced them, there were alligator tears.  We searched everywhere we could think of two or three times.  Days would pass, and we'd search some more.  One morning, my oldest daughter woke up and told us she dreamt the toys were in something red.  We searched in our red wagon and tricycle, to no avail.  Weeks went by and I was hanging up their winter coats for the season.  Inside Ellie's red puffy winter coat pocket were the Bluey toys.  "Mommy!  They were in something red, just like my dream!" Natalie exclaimed.  We were astonished.

And just the other day, my daughter lost a little green rock she found in the yard when one of her siblings knocked it out of her hand.  I kept raking as I watched her struggle to find it, knowing she knew the protocol for finding lost things.  After awhile, I went over to her and asked if she prayed about it yet.  "No, Mommy.  Will you help me?"  So we prayed to Jesus, the One who sees everything, to help us find the rock.  After a few more minutes of searching in the grass, my eyes went right to it, and I knew it was the right one. 

Ok, you get the point.  Every time I pray for Jesus to help me find something lost, He shows up.  Sometimes right away.  Sometimes after a few hours.  Sometimes after a few weeks.  Every time, He shows up. 

Have you ever lost something and not been able to find it? 

How important was it to you? Was it an expensive piece of jewelry or maybe even some cold hard cash? Was it sentimental to you? What if it was seemingly insignificant to the rest of the world but very important to you? 

Every time my kids lose something I use it as a lesson to teach them about how much their Savior loves them.  If Jesus cares to bring our eyes to the most insignificant things like little rocks and lost Barbie shoes, how much more does He care about your bigger details?! And how much more does He want to help us fix our eyes on Him?!

Jesus says in Matthew 10:29-31, "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows."

This lesson is simple but profound, isn't it?  When you're struggling with making a decision, or feeling seen, or being heard, how comforting is it to know the God who sees it all is watching over every single detail.  

He's not just God of Creation; He's the God of you.  And you very much matter to Him.  

So when I pray for the lost things to be found, I know He's just using those little moments to strengthen my faith in Him for when I need it in the big moments.

He wants to do this for you.  He already does.  I think my role in finding these lost things is both faith and action.  I have the faith He will show me, and I physically use my eyes to look.  Once I pray, I get to work looking.  

I wonder what it is you are praying for right now, that you need to start looking for?

May the lost things be found, and may your faith be strengthened in the process. 

Ellie's green rock found in the grass



1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful and powerful testimony of God's kindness and faithfulness. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete