Sunday, August 4, 2013

AK to VA Trip 2013

Since we haven't had wi-fi or time to sit and use the wi-fi on our trip, I haven't been able to update you all on our progress!  However, I have been writing every day, so please enjoy this "data dump" (if you will) of our trip over the past few days.


Melting

Isn’t it strange how things melt? They get to a certain temperature and suddenly can’t take it anymore and their entire composition changes.  Have you ever seen butter melt on a pile of mashed potatoes? Or ironed Crayola crayon shavings into some useless decoration before? The colors mesh with each other, becoming one.

Life can melt, too.  Today, my life is melting from one solid into the next.  Today, my life will change composition, never to look the same again.  Today, I become different.  We will be different.  My husband Jordan and I, that is.

Today we said goodbye to our dear friends, a town we love, mountains that will always put us in awe, traffic that we fondly hated, restaurants we blew a lot of money at, trails we conquered, a church we adored, record breaking sunny days… one after another after another…the land of the midnight sun and Moose’s Tooth pizza, a place we grew to love each other even more than we thought possible, and most importantly, a place where we experienced faith that could move mountains…

My heart went from solid to liquid today as I hugged my last hug and cried more tears than I knew were in me. 

I’ve been planning and looking forward to writing blog entries for this trip for months now.  I love documenting my life in writing.  Recently, I traveled back to my parents in MA and discovered journals I’ve kept dating back to first grade (1992!). I seriously have every year of my life documented from age 6. 

We now embark on a five-week road trip, A-Liner in tow, cute puppy panting in the back, and all the snack food we could desire.  We have roughly 15 states, two countries, 5 national parks, and 7000+ miles of time to melt one life in Alaska into a new life in Virginia, where I am most certain we will literally melt.

I hope you all enjoy taking this journey with us.  We know many of you are praying for us and we are so incredibly grateful and humbled. Thank you!
Moving day! We got 8,000 lbs of stuff into 16 ft of trailer. The guys were super heroes that day figuring out how to make everything fit efficiently!

Saying goodbye to Mindy and her boys... her and Mike have been the best neighbors ever!



Me and JuJu. May the laughs keep on comin' dear friend!


Day 2: Tok, AK to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada

Today’s drive has been very rough.  I’m thankful for the sunny skies so we can see scenery we didn’t have a chance to see last time.  I think it rained our entire way through Canada two years ago. But I do not remember the roads to be this bumpy.  Maybe it’s because we are also towing a camper now and traveling with the Whitney family who is towing their camper. It took us a painful 4 hours to drive 120 miles today.

Our stay in Tok was brief as we hit the road again to continue our journey.  We stopped at the Alaska state sign to take pictures. It was nice having someone else with us to take our family picture!  Thankfully we won’t have as many “selfies” this trip.  Layla has been great… riding in the back like it’s her home.  She has her bed back there, and just curls right up and enjoys the ride.

No wildlife yet on the roads today.  I texted my mother-in-law, Helen, this morning to ask for prayer in that area.  Moose crossing the road is a scary reality and one we don’t want to encounter!  Thank you if you took the time to pray for that specific request today!

I still feel like I’m on a vacation and it hasn’t sunk in yet that I’m not returning to Alaska at the end of this trip.  I think I’ve read each card given to me before we left about three times.  The thought of not seeing my sweet friends breaks my heart.  May this road be one of healing as we prepare to open our hearts to new relationships in Virginia.


Later on…

It’s been 9 hours and time to stop for dinner.  Sandra and I got to work in her camper while Clint wasted no time pulling out his fly-fishing rod and Layla ran the kids ragged chasing after them.  Jordan took pictures of it allJ Sandra heated up her sloppy-Joe meat and I fried up some pork chops in the skillet with some broccoli-cheese rice on the side and apple sauce for dipping, just the way my mama taught me!  We enjoyed our dinner with the beautiful Kluane Lake as our backdrop.  Then we quickly washed up and got back on the road to finish our trek to Whitehorse.

One of the most fun parts about the trip so far has been our walkie-talkie communication between our two vehicles.  Today, Jordan decided to play a game with everyone.  We all had to guess what time we’d arrive in Whitehorse, including the kids.  The winner was the one with the closest time without going over.  Sandra, Clint, and Noah were out pretty fast with their optimistic hopes of a pre-10 o’clock arrival.  Jenna was the proud winner with a time of 10:30 p.m. and she will be awarded with the last slice of Jordan’s birthday chocolate cake his boss gave him before he left Anchorage!  Since we arrived so late tonight, she’ll get to enjoy it tomorrow… after she “kisses it and kisses it”, as she so eloquently stated. I hear ya kid.  Chocolate cake on the Alaska Highway is like gold!

Nothing much to report except that it’s late and time to shut ‘er down so we can get some shut-eye!




Noah and Layla chasing stretching their legs at Kluane Lake.


There's more to come, but we gotta get going on the road, so I'll post more the next time we have wi-fi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment