Monday, August 5, 2013

Sports-movie Junkie


This morning Noah came out of the camper on a mission to make us laugh. Well, maybe he didn’t intend to, but he was hilarious. Six year olds I tell ya… they get ya every time.

For the third time in the past week, Noah asked me if I liked his basketball pajamas.

“Yeah buddy, they’re sweet.”

“Thanks. They were only $3 from Kohls!”

See? Even 6 year olds appreciate a good deal.
Then, Jordan joins the conversation, and it somehow gets to the topic of watching sports movies.

Noah exclaims ever so seriously, “I don’t want to be that kind of person.”

“What kind of person, Noah?”

“The kind that watch sports movies. I just haven’t decided what kind of person I want to be yet.”

Yep. If you’re smiling while reading this, just imagined my giggles when I heard it.

After eating a wonderful breakfast with the Whitney family, and hugging them extra tight, we packed up and said “see ya later” for a few weeks when we meet up again in Omaha.

Jordan and I traveled alone today for the first time in days.  The walkies got shut off, there was no one to greet at each gas stop, and my heart just ached.

We talked for awhile today about why it hurts to much to say goodbye to our friends.  Its like this deep ache, because I open my heart up to people and love them deeply and then sooner or later, I have to move away and make new friends. The old ones are still friends, but we no longer get to live life with them each day.  And it just. plain. hurts.

It got me thinking about what Noah said this morning about not knowing what kind of person he wanted to be.  Am I the kind of person I want to be?  Have I fully committed and made the decision that I will not be a sports-movie watching junkie?  Well, yeah, I hate sports movies, but you get the drift.

I want to be someone who leaves ripples wherever she goes.  Because if I don’t make a mark… if I don’t leave my love and heart and soul in these places… what’s the point?  I wouldn’t be able to come to terms with moving for the third time in four years.  I wouldn’t be able to bear the pain that comes with saying goodbye.  I wouldn’t be able to move on and make new friends in our new home.  If I don’t leave Jesus in my place, my life would be one big meaningless vacation around the world.  I mean, vacation’s great and all, but it’s not life.  And I want life in the fullest, through leaning on the everlasting God who makes this whole life worth it.

I miss my friends tonight.  Quite simply, my heart just aches.  The lump in my throat is like a new organ, come to stay and camp out for awhile.  While it is my desire to leave a mark and impression in the lives of my friends, you all have to know my ambition to do this all comes from the impressions you’ve made on my life.  I love you… I thank you deeply… I miss you wholly.  And your love for me has encouraged me to live my life as a reflection of that love.

So there ya go.  Sap-tastic entry for the night complete.  Just had to get it out there, because sometimes I feel the only way I can express myself is through my writing. Goodnight friendsJ

No comments:

Post a Comment