Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Skype and Fried Food...


Skype is amazing. I usually don't rave about technology, as I do believe it sucks the true life out of us and consumes our every thought/movement/need... but really, video-chatting with my friends and family is what sustains me when I am alone up here. Jordan has been gone for 10 days now, and I am missing him more than ever. He called me tonight and I felt like I hadn't seen him in months, like when he was at basic. I just stared at him and teared up and told him the only thing I could think to say was that I loved him and missed him! (you can all get your "gag" out here >.....<)

But today I also got to Skype with my dear friend Laurie from Japan and see her three beautiful children. It just made me so thankful for this technology!  I got to see them play, laugh, talk, sleep, and wave. They are just so precious. What an amazing blessing we have with this Skype thing! Or as Tom, my father-in-law, called it "this snipe thing". :)

Anyways, I've also been blessed with meeting so many new people in the past week and a half and being invited over for many dinners! Over the weekend I enjoyed an evening with a couple named Shelley and Corey and their two little boys, Miles and Salem. They just moved into a new house this year and I so enjoyed seeing how they have renovated and designed the house in this awesome vintage/modern look. They so inspired me with my own house! We had grilled salmon and they took me out to a new place called Yogurtland in south Anchorage. My friends, if you have not discovered a self-serve yogurt bar near you, I encourage you to seek one out ASAP! My friend Tamra from Bellevue just told me they put one in within walking distance of where we used to live. AH! No fair! Here are a few links for you to locate one near you:

http://www.redmangousa.com/default.html
http://www.yogurt-land.com/
http://www.yogofactory.com/?gclid=CNWD-_7h-KoCFSUaQgodAm6rLw

Please explore and indulge!

On Saturday I enjoyed meeting some new college students at the church and making my first batch of frybread to serve to UAA students that night at our kickoff event. Frybread is just like a fried dough/donut kind of thing that natives make up here. It's delish. We served about 300 pieces to students at the event and met lots of cool people.

On Sunday, some girls from church and I drove up to the Alaska State Fair in Wasilla.  Our mission: eat the food! Mission accomplished! The first thing they made me try was something called fried cheese curds. Yes, my friends. We're talking cheese dipped in batter and then fried. It was amazing. We also had gyros and a cream puff that was to die for. I bought a beautiful pottery bowl and we enjoyed watching a scripted, yet cheesy lumberjack contest. We're talking men wearing flannel, revving up their chainsaws, and climbing poles. Yup, welcome to the sticks!


I am just feeling so blessed. I love my job, I love the people, I love the food, I love my house, and I love my neighbors! Hooray!
Just getting started....


Our booth at the UAA Campus Kickoff. That was just one of two trays of fry bread!

Last piece!!!! I so badly wanted it, but I held back.

My first cheese curd tasting!

Ingrid, Julie, and I at the state fair. Feels like I've known these girls forever! Thanks for a great day!

It just doesn't get much more beautiful than this...

A regular ol' lumberjack show... only up here!

Climbing contest: This took like less than 30 seconds for him to get all the way up and come back down!

No comments:

Post a Comment