Thursday, August 25, 2011

Youth group...

Tonight was our first youth group night of the year! I was so excited for this kickoff because I finally got to meet the kids that I'll be working with. It was so good to feel that sense of purpose, meeting kids, and just knowing, like really knowing, that I'm needed here.  I can't explain what that feeling was. I was in a room surrounded by 6-12th grade kids singing their hearts out in worship, and I just had this overwhelming peace come over me that I'm needed here, and God has me exactly. where. He. wants. me.


I've been feeling so frustrated and overwhelmed with trying to fundraise money, that this week I just kind of felt the wind seeping out of my sails. I just prayed that tonight when I met the kids, God would put that drive back in my heart, that sense of purpose. And He totally did! Praise Him:)

I challenge all of you tonight. I challenge you to look deep into your heart and ask yourself if what you are doing with your life is serving the Lord. For some of you reading this, I'm sure this question makes you feel very uncomfortable, as I know not all of my readers are Christians. I may even lose some readers by being so bold. But I just feel really led to give you that challenge. It's so easy to get caught up in our "master plans" of what we want to happen in our lives.  And it's even easier to say we're believers than it is to really act like one.  When I was 18, my "master plan" was to graduate from college with a bachelor of music education degree, work for 3-4 years, get my master's in education, and keep moving up the ladder.  But I am so glad that God has pulled me away from that plan, and put in front of me His plan for my life: to serve the youth of Alaska and love them. These kids have so much brokenness in their lives, and I am so grateful and honored that God has chosen me to be a leader for them.

"Now someone may argue, 'Some people have faith; others have good deeds.' But I say, 'How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.'"  James 2:18


I hope you are all able to feel the sense of completeness that I feel in my heart, that without a doubt, I am serving the Lord today, tomorrow, and in the days to come. And what a joy it is!!

Bless you,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment