Wednesday, August 24, 2011

While you were out...

As many of you may know, Jordan's job is so awesome that he got sent to Japan for a two week tour around the country.  Jordan's job is so awesome that as I'm writing this, he's playing for our very own Vice President of the United States.  Jordan's job is in fact, so very awesome, that he is actually getting paid to play his bass in a foreign country with awesome musicians!

And while he's out doing those amazing things, I am here trying to settle into the Alaskan lifestyle.  Here are some things I've learned so far:
1. Time doesn't seem to matter much around here. The sun certainly doesn't care what time it is.  The rain doesn't care how long it sticks around. And you better not care about getting anywhere actually on time as the traffic in this town won't allow you to.
2. Which brings me to my next lesson learned: Traffic patterns in Anchorage are severely lacking in practicality.  I'll also tack on that street names don't make sense either.  The same road that runs north and south will be called two different names, depending on where you jump on it. And one-way roads should be outlawed.  Me and Mr. Garmin are new best friends:)
3. Grocery stores are named after people and automobiles. You can find your salad dressing at Fred Meyer, but meat prices are better at Carrs.  Don't try the Wal-Mart, as it's all the way across town and by the time you navigated through those one way roads, your ice-cream will be melted.

Now that I'm all learned about this city, I've had time to accomplish some things this week and make some new friends!  On Saturday night, I had four girls come over that I've met through CYAK and church.  They are so sweet and I can't wait to get to know them more. Layla liked them, too. She told me.

On Sunday, I helped do some painting at our church's house on their property. It's going to be used to house four college girls and one CYAK staffer who will act as their RA. Cute house, great place for those girls. I also was invited over to a couple's house for dinner that night and met their children, Ingrid and her husband Marcus and their two kids, and their son Eric. We had hot dogs over the fire and ate on their deck.  Oh yeah, that's all because this was the only sunny day we've had in weeks.

On Monday, I spent some time working on my fundraising.. some of you may be getting letters soon, and if you'd like to get a letter from me, please let me know that you'd be willing to support me! Then send me your address.

Today I completed my substitute training and met some people that I'll be working with at an after-school club at a middle school. Then Sandra came over and helped me with my curtains! They're finally up and I love them. She's so awesome. Thank you!!

I'll keep you all updated while Jordan's in Japan, as this is the only way I get to share with him what I'm up to, as well.
Halibut dinner I made for Jordan last week!

This rainbow was right outside my house the other night... so beautiful!

Curtains are up! 

Living room with new couch pillows looking into dining room.

"Miss you Dad"

No comments:

Post a Comment