Saturday, July 9, 2011

Go PRE!

 Greetings tonight from Eugene, OR! I have to keep reminding myself that I am on the WEST COAST BABY!! And that I’ve now traveled through three time zones in the past week. Whoa.

We started our seventh day of travel off to a great start as we made our way out of Yellowstone and into Grand Teton National Forest.  I'm going to let the pictures do the talking down below because its beauty is too big to describe in words.  But one thing I did not get pictures of were the two moose we saw at the beginning of the park!  That was a first for both of us:)





After driving for quite a few hours we landed in a small, tiny, microscopic town called Bruneau in Idaho and camped for the night. The campground was surprisingly really cool, once I got past the eeriness of not being able to by milk because there wasn’t even a grocery store in this “town”.  What made this place so cool was the HUGE sand dunes surrounding the park.  Apparently they were caused by a flood about 15,000 years ago, give or take a couple days. Jordan, Layla, and I enjoyed climbing up them, and down them, and back up them again.  Well, Jordan went up a few. Us girls were done after one time around.  There was also a revolving observatory with a ginormous telescope to see the planets, moon, and stars.  After we survived the 45 minute long presentation, they let us climb up and look at some fuzzy cheerio looking thing in the sky, Saturn, and of course, our very own moon!  I think Jord was more into it than me, but he is a Kimble man, and they do love their Star Wars sci-fi stuff (that’s for you Roy and Chris:J )





One of the trails to get to the dunes... there were so many mosquitos that we turned around and climbed the more exposed dunes.


Puppy prints!



Getting used to holding the camera out at arm's length to take family shoots. Poor Layla was getting sand in her eyes.

Jordan is pretending he has a light saber in his hand... you know, like from Star Wars? I didn't get it either.

Woo hoo! Another state!


What we do to keep ourselves entertained:)

Volcanoes in OR

We drove through roads just like this for hours to get to Eugene! Just beautiful!


Our night last night (Friday) was very (I was going to say little to be polite, but let’s be honest… the people who I’m describing were definitely not polite last night) NOISY!!  So what did we do to help ourselves fall asleep? The only thing that brings comfort to our souls when we can’t sleep… watching Friends on our laptop in the tent. And then we plugged our headphones/earplugs in to quiet Jim Brickman music and slept for a couple hoursJ

Today (Saturday, if you haven’t been paying attention), we drove ALLLLLLLL day to get to Eugene, OR.  Nothing too eventful to talk about except a lot of mountains to drive through!  And I’m pretty sure I’m already in love with the west coast, or maybe it’s just Oregon, and maybe it’s really just Eugene. Here’s why: When we arrived here, we still had an hour before we could drop Layla off at her kennel (thanks Yai-Yai Helen!), so we decided to visit the University of Oregon campus. For those of you that aren’t up to speed, the reason we came to this town is because it is the Track Town of our very own USA.  And if you know my husband, you understand why this is important. So we found ourselves at “The Duck Store”, the campus’ book/apparel store.  Since we had Layla with us, we decided to take turns going in… me first of course so I could scout out a bathroom.  When I came back to the front of the store, I saw Jordan inside with Layla! One of the employees saw him outside with her and told him he could come in with the dog! SO COOL! And so many people in the store loved petting her and saying hello…. Awesome.  If you like my dog, I like you.  We had lots of fun picking out U of Oregon hats, shirts, and sweatpants. Now we’re all decked out and ready to walk around campus some more tomorrow. Oh yeah, we also ate dinner at Track Town Pizza tonight.  This place is so funJ
There's Jordan, the white dot at the very top of the dune.

Time to head off to the campground and set up our gear. I think we’re going to watch the Prefontaine movie to gear ourselves up for tomorrow.  Google him if you don’t know what I’m talking about.  Till the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment